Employment of alien workers (General Categories of Employment) and domestic assistants
The granting of employment permits for alien workers is governed by the Aliens and Immigration Legislation as well as by the Decisions of the Council of Ministers and the Ministerial Committee dealing with aliens from time to time.
Issue of Entry and Work Permits
Applications for the issue of Entry and Work Permits in General Categories of Employment are submitted to the Civil Registry and Migration Department by the intended employer, through the respective District Aliens and Immigration Branch of the Police, on condition that the aliens are abroad. The applications should accompanied by a work contract stamped by the Department of Labour of the Ministry of Labour and Social Insurance, which is competent to examine whether regarding the specific profession or job there are no available or adequately qualified Cypriots and then to make a recommendation for employment of aliens. The applications are forwarded to the Civil Registry and Migration Department and after they are examined and it is established that there is nothing against the aliens which prevents their entry into Cyprus, the relevant Entry and Work Permits are issued.
Regarding aliens employed as domestic assistants, the same process referred to in the case of the other alien workers is followed except that the contract is not stamped by the Department of Labour, because the criteria for granting the relevant permits have been defined by the Council of Ministers. According to the said criteria, the employment of alien domestic assistants may be allowed in the following cases:
(a) Families of which both the husband and the wife work, that is they pay contribution to the Social Securities Fund and have children under the age of 12 are allowed to employ domestic assistants.
(b) When the family has a declared income of more than €51.300 annually.
(c) When alien women are to take care of aged persons, invalids, persons with special needs or persons suffering from a serious illness as a result of which they are incapable of taking care of themselves.
(a) For General Categories of Employment
1. Application on forms M.58 and M.64
2. A photocopy of alien’s passport
3. A clean criminal record certificate of alien
4. Medical certificates of alien
5. A Bank letter of guarantee for €342-855, depending on the country of origin of the alien, to cover possible repatriation expenses, valid for six months after the expiration of the work contract
6. A work contract, stamped by the Department of Labour of the Ministry of Labour and Social Insurance and stamped with a revenue stamp from the Revenue Stamps Registrar.
7. €34,20 (fee for submission of application)
(b) For Domestic Assistants
1. Application on form M. 58.
2. A photocopy of alien’s passport
3. A work contract stamped with a revenue stamp from the Revenue Stamps Registrar (€7,70 for each year of employment).
4. A Bank letter of guarantee for €342-855, depending on the country of origin of the alien, to cover possible repatriation expenses, valid for six months after the expiration of the work contract.
5. Birth certificates of children (where applicable).
6. A certificate from the Social Securities Department that both parents work and make contributions (where applicable).
7. A certificate from the Inland Revenue Department that the annual income of the applicant’s family exceeds the amount of €51.300 (where applicable).
8. Medical certificates and other documents regarding persons incapable of taking care of themselves (where applicable).
9. Documents regarding pensioners and aged people such as particulars about pension, date of birth etc. (where applicable).
Renewal of Residence and Work Permits
For the renewal of the Temporary Residence and Work Permit of aliens, it is necessary to submit an application on form M.61 through the District Aliens and Immigration Branch of the Police and to pay a fee of €34,20. Before the submission of the application the alien is registered at the District Aliens and Immigration Branch of the Police. For this registration the alien’s passport, three photographs of his and a fee of €34,20 should be produced.